Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get started with web development

Status
Not open for further replies.

VB400

Programmer
Sep 8, 1999
US
I would really like to start developing web apps and I have no idea where to start. I hear terms like IIS, ASP, VBScript, XML, etc. but I don't quite understand how they all fit together. I'm looking for a book that will guide me through this starting from A (not in the middle of the alphabet).

I would like to develop "Hearty" apps, with database access and possibly e-commerce, etc.

- Is VB a good tool for the job?
- Do I need Visual InterDev?
- Do I need FrontPage?
- Are ASP and IIS products or framework?

As you can tell from these questions, I'm really lost

If you have any recommendations I would really appreciate it!
[sig][/sig]

It's new but I highly recommend it for new scripters:

Perl,CGI,andJava Complete by Sybex.

As well it goes into detail how to interface with VB scripts and Inter Dev
[sig][/sig]

Thanks John, I'll take a look at it. [sig][/sig]

Hi, when u think of web
i) the first thing you might want to know is HTML
ii) How to make your page intelligent - use JavaScript/VBscript(ASP)/ JScript
iii) How to respond to users actions - on the server side
CGI programming using perl etc., (all the database comunication could be handled here).
iv) Apart from these you would want to know about Applets.

The list goes on and on...welcome to the world wide web...all the best...vijay. [sig][/sig]

Amen to the bewildering jungle of acronyms. There ought to be a policing agency to decide whether or not a new acronym is warranted--it could be called APT ("Acronym Policy Tribunal")

IIS is the Microsoft Network server program--hopefully the network guru will take care of that for you--it's a whole world unto itself (along with MAPI & TCP)

Front Page is a program that makes web pages interactively, i.e., without one knowing HTML

ASP &quot;Active Server Pages&quot; is a VBScript implementation that allows server computer to generate responsive web pages as opposed to JavaScript & Java applets (JavaScript <> Java by the way) which send code to be interpreted by web page user's computer

Get one of the basic &quot;using the internet&quot; or &quot;make your own web page&quot; books to get a lay of the land. [sig][/sig]

I should have figured I wasn't going to get an easy answer. I think I'll head down to my local bookstore and spend a couple of hours browsing the various books and see what I might find.

However, I reserve the right to come back and ask more questions -- I will probably be more confused than I am now.

The more I know, the little I really know! ;-)

Tarek [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back