Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get my router to stop throttling my Internet speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhallett

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
My network router, a Linksys WRT54G v2 wired/wi-fi router, is throttling my download speeds terribly. This is understandable for my Wi-Fi units, but it does the same to the wired units too.

I use Charter Cable Internet and have speeds of about 60mbps when connected directly to the cable MODEM. But when I put my router between the MODEM and my computers, the speed drops by 2/3rd to about 20mbps.

How do I change this? Do I need a newer router?

Respectfully.
Harry Hallett
Telecommunication Systems Technician
The Queen Mary Hotel

I would, but did you also check the other wired cables in the run, at both sides of the router? I would still upgrade the router, as that ancient linksys is fast enet only, and I would want one that could do gigabit at the wan and lan ports.

I would think that you should be able to get the full download speeds with even that old router, UNLESS there a bunch of other computers connected (wired and/or wireless) that are using bandwidth when the router is connected which CANNOT be the case when just one computer is connected to the modem. So, unless you know that nobody else is using the bandwidth, it's not a fair comparison.

I WOULD replace the router just because.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Agree with the above. You can find cheap replacements these days. If you really want to troubleshoot further, however, you might want to look into upgrading its firmware. Something definitely seems off. Also as Goom points out, make sure you only have one active workstation attached via Ethernet while troubleshooting.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

rclarke250: Yes, I did check the other wired cables in the run, at both sides of the router, with the same result.

goombawahoo: Yes, there are a bunch of other computers that connect (wired and/or wireless) to the router. But I made sure they were all off before testing.

Thanks everyone, I'll be replacing the router .... and the NICs .... and running Cat 6 .... Yay!

Respectfully.
Harry Hallett
The Queen Mary Hotel

Since it is an older wireless router what security is it running. If it's wap then that can be broken in about 5 seconds and you could have other people using your wireless. Use the admin screen for the router and see what you have connected through it.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

I ran one of those routers up until about a year ago and I got the full speed from Comcast that I was paying for.

It's not a bad idea to replace it with one that has a newer, more modern (better??) firmware on it. However, I know those old WRT54G type routers last FOREVER but you see a lot of router reviews on NewEgg where they say routers live about one year. A lot of other routers have a very high number of negative reviews. So, finding one that is decent is not necessarily easy.

The last two times I shopped for a router, I couldn't find one on the egg that made a majority of people happy they purchased it.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Beilstwh: I'm using WPA2 Personal.

Respectfully.
Harry Hallett
The Queen Mary Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back