Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get my .dbx files back from Outlook Express?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter41647

Technical User
Dec 20, 2003
US
I downloaded DBXtract and attempted to extract .dbx files, but I only got the files that are currently still in my Outlook Express Inbox folders. What can I do?

A little vague... Did you have another version of OE program on your computer previously?
The only .dbx files that can be extracted from your computer have to be resident on your computer.
If you did not select the option to "Save a copy of messages on server" (OE, Tools, Accounts, Mail tab, Properties, Advanced tab) then there won't be any way to retrieve mail you've downloaded and deleted already in OE.
(If you have access to the same mail acct via a webmail site you might find some of the files)

I have not had any previous OE programs, just this one. I lost all email messages. I did not delete them, but I think they were archived. I did a little reading about what happened to them and learned about the .dbx files. I downloaded the .dbx extractor but could not recover lost files, only open files that were currently accessible through OE. I will try to save copies of email on my server. Thanks for your help korum1. I have turned off the auto archive function when I reach 20% wasted space. I will delete messages when I don't need them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back