Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i get all machines to download new patches automatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caltex66

Technical User
Oct 26, 2002
AU
Hi All,

I am a network admin for a small company and i am basically teaching myself as i go along. We recently ran into a lot of problems due to the slammer virus and because of this my manager has asked me about all machines running patches automatically.

Is it possible to create a script or policy that will make the client machines automatically run windows update on a set day every week, and install any new hotfixes or security updates? this would be preferable to manually going to each user to enforce the use of windows update.

thanks in advance.

Win2k boxes? Just go to each machine and got to settings-control panel-automatic updates. It gives you the option of the machine running windows update automatically and you can have it be totally automatic or you can make it ask for confirmation before installing updates.

Download SUS server and push updates to all clients in the domain through group policy.

Thanks for your replys, futuretch204 that program is EXCATLY what i am looking for, i have one question though, how do i force clients to update from this server automatically using group policy? DO i need to create a new GPO? Or is there an exsisting one related to it?

Thanks Mate

I'm gonna check into the SUS server myself, never used it before...

I learned a lesson a while back, ticked off a few employees. Warn them before you force install or update any patches from microsoft in whatever way you choose. The system has a habit of automatically rebooting with the automatic updates :O) If they are working on anything, it will be lost.

Good luck... ~ The day I think I know it all, i'm changing careers ~

Hi,

Was wondering, what does SUS stand for, and where do I download this SUS server?

Thank you. :)

SUS comes with it's own GP template that you import into your existing policy. Once loaded, you can "force" the updates, or set it however you like. There's also a web interface that allows you to view logs and set other options...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back