Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get Access contracting jobs? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyTea

Programmer
Nov 7, 2002
US
I have been using access since 1.1 and am now semi-retired. I would like to try my hand at contracting. Does anyone have any advise on how to set this up?

There are a variety of IT contracting sites on the Web. Do a Google search on "IT contracting". These sites let contractors post their resumes and business post contracting jobs. Most will automatically email you if a job is posted that matches your qualifications. You can them submit a bid for the job or submit your resume. The employer chooses a contractor and usually the website bills one or both parties for a portion of the contracted price.

If you are asking how to find customers, then the best advice I can give is to Schmoooze.

If you're going after small-business contracts, make lots of friends in business. Be decent, be bright. Impress people by expressing interest in their lives and their livelihoods. Learn to empathize with business owners and learn about their businesses! Be a friend to all...

Then, when you do fine work for one customer, they'll talk about you to their friends, and you'll get calls.

I find the social part to be the hard part. The work is an afterthought.

Following rube's approach of building a reputation (I'm hesitant to use the term "schmooze" because of the connotation), I have found that it is invaluable to get letters of reference from those who have been please with your work. Don't be afraid to ask for these. It seems awkward, but when a potential customer is unsure whether to hire you, this can help convince them that you are as good as you are claiming.

I work for a small company, and these have helped us land many sales where they were unsure because they hadn't heard of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back