Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get a "lookup" to only read part of an entry?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leesome

Technical User
Jan 5, 2007
GB
Gday,

I'm pretty new at filemaker (i've done alot of tutorials, but none seem to answer my question...).

So! At the moment I've got realtionship set up with postcodes (and lookups set up - so when the postcode's typed in, the town/city etc are autofilled etc. etc.) This all works fine.

I'm in england, so the postcodes are a bit funny over here. The first half of the postcode tells you the town and area (which is what my linked database contains at the moment) eg; N1 or SE15 etc.

However, there is also a second half which tells you where the address is really specifically (this info is NOT in my linked database).

So a full postcode might look like W1X 1LG

So basically what I want is when I type a postcode into the field lokup will just look at the first section of data, rather than the whole thing. The only problem again with this this though, is that postcodes aren't always uniform.

But they do always start with a letter (or 2) follwed one number (or 2). Any information after this is irrelevant.

I know I'm rambling now, I'm sorry, but I just want to try and make this make sense.

I;d like the lookup to be able to distinguish the difference between letters and numbers. For example if the postcode is N10, it realises there's only one letter, and will go on to recognise the numbers.
Likewise, say the psotcode is EH1X - it will recognise the fist two letters, then go on to the number - then realise there's only one number and stop.

I hope this makes some kind of sense... I apologise if it doesn't.
If anyone could help on this matter it would be HUGELY appreciated!!

Cheers
Leesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back