Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get a new job with no formal qualifications? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AyJayEL

Technical User
Jan 30, 2001
GB
I posted this message in another forum then realised it was better posted here!

I work in local government and have worked up from PA to ICT support. Everything I have learnt about pcs and software I have taught myself. I left school at 15 with no qualifications to do hairdressing. Now I am nearly 50 and doing a job that I love but that isn't greatly paid. I am a Crystal Reports writer. I support an Oracle database and create, maintain and support several Access Databases. My problem is that I am in a rut I think. I've been here 8 years and know that I can do the job elsewhere but I don't have any formal qualifications. All the jobs say graduate level, or minimum of 5 GCSE's. Dare I go for these jobs anyway? Will they consider me despite the lack of qualifications. I have got loads of experience now. I know that if I was given a chance I could prove my aptitude as happened in my present job.

What have others done? Do you advertise jobs? Would you consider someone like me? Learn something new every day *:->*

Qualifications versus experience.

For a long time now, human resources departments have been trending towards paper qualifications instead of real experience. This applies in various other fields like journalism, advertising and ditch digging. In a lot of places it won't matter how many years you've been doing it, if you don't have the sheep skin. Is this a stupid trend? Yes, and the proof can be found in my mentor who, at 50+ and sans b.s., is the biggest dog in my firm's IT department. At the younger end of this scale, another bachelors-less friend of mine and a better programmer than I, had a time more hard than mine finding a job after leaving a programmer mill. But he did find a position. Overall, the practice of apprenticeship is largely over.

However, this shouldn't mean a hunted existence for those trained thru apprenticeship. If you really know your stuff AND are capable of conducting a vigorous, thoughtful job search, you will find a place.

Since most posters like to give advice, I too shall make recommendations which are:

Talk informally to recruiters and find out what they want.

Talk to HR folk and find out what THEY want.

Show a resume to MORE THAN ONE HR person not to solicit a job but ONLY to get their input on how to approach your experience versus education quandry.

Just get out there in the market. Some listings really mean it when they say "Only considering MS, Ph.D, BSCS w/ 20 years experience - if you're not Stephen Hawking DON'T APPLY." Others could be blowing smoke. Send a cover letter/resume and you'll find out for sure.

In the market of IT professionals, you have a certain market value. Hopefully it's more than your current employer's measure. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

cyclegeek

Yeah, just try. In the real world degrees and certs don't necessarily prove you know anything other than how to pass tests. Experience is what really counts. Unfortunatley, even though there is a lot of skepticism about certs. There is also a growing trend to require them anyway. Eweek just did a big piece on this. Threre are still places that might take you on or give you a try-out at least without the alphabet soup, so it can't hurt to try.

Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

We have a few people who started as contractors doing something slightly different to what is now their permanent job. I think that the first step is to get something in the right area and go from there. Sandy

My suggestion would be to work on resume. Highlight quality as much as quantity. Your years of experience should be described by the benefits and results you have delivered.

You might not have the alphaber soup, but if your resume shows how you have delivered results you should have less problems.

MasterRacker raises a good point about certification valuation. Perhaps one or two certs in your field could satisfy the more illogical requirements for 'official paper' and round you out a bit more.

cyclegeek

A couple of the reasons HR askes for paper credentials are that (1) they can point to something measurable if they are accused of discrimination and (2) they save a lot of time. Imagine the poor manager who hires 4 people a year and has to look over 400 resumes, 100 for each posting. These things weren't a problem years ago, but now the only way you can generally bypass the credentials is to know someone personally.

What is holding you back from getting the credentials? If you are in the US and didn't graduate from high school, you can get your HS equivalency and then take a course or 2 at the local community college. My ex-husband dropped out of high school when his family moved to Africa (Peace Corps). He got his A.A. and started a new career after 40. My current husband had to change careers due to a potential disability and also went back to school part time around that age. He is now working on a professional certification and both credentials have made a big difference when he looks for work. You might try just working on a single cert, as they say, "Better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

Some people just can't do school or pass cert tests because they're dyslexic or a test phobic or have other academic-related problems. If you are, you might try teaching at a volunteer or community level. Teaching looks impressive on a resume and the people I know who teach say it helps them network.

Most of the other replies have assumed that you are in the US, but as a Brit abroad, it's clear to me that you are not. And, as is so often the case, I think different rules apply in the UK. I would say, based on having worked in the US, UK, Canada, and Europe, that it is going to be harder for you to get where you want to be without formal qualifications - honestly, as well, your age may well be a disadvantage for you. Unfair, I know, but unfortunately true. My experience has been that the UK has the least non-discrimination in work legislation of all its counterparts.

There is an upside, however; there are probably more opportunities in the UK for retraining, certification possibilities, etc. through the local authority, local university or college, etc.

Overall, my experience has been that British employers (or at least their personnel departments) are much more obsessed with qualifications than their counterparts in other countries.

I hope this hasn't been too discouraging - it is certainly possible to get where you want to be, but I would look to the local education authority or even DSS for guidance and help in gaining some kind of certification.

Lots of Luck,
Raoul

MY brother-in-law was self taught. He got a job with an online company as a general telephone support person - no computer knowledge required. Then he started showing them what he knew about computers/software. He's now a senior tech advisor and has even written some of their manuals about software utilization and interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back