Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get a book to actually use a TOC template?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckaibab

Instructor
May 22, 2006
US
I am at a complete loss at how to get a TOC template to actually work. I've tried following the directions in the Framemaker book, but every time I generate a TOC it completely ignores my TOC template and generates a TOC formatted from the file in the book. Can anyone provide step-by-step instructions on how to get this to actually work? Thanks.

There are several ways.
1. Before you generate you TOC put your Template in the book just before were you want the TOC. Generate the TOC.

2. Generate the TOC and then use Import Formats (make sure your Template is open) to copy the format from your TOC. Then regenerate the TOC.

You may have to make some format adjustments on the reference pages.

Tag formating and selecting which tags are use, tabs need to be set, etc.

From FM help.

To have FrameMaker use a template for a generated file:

Copy the template to the source document's folder using the same filename as the list or index.
Generate the list or index.
You can also use File > Import > Formats to import a template's formats. Then generate the list or index again so any changes in the special text flow are reflected in the generated file.

If this does not work for you let me know and we can arrange a phone call. Once you get it you will love it.

Steve

Steve,

Ok. I'm part of the way there. I copied the TOC template file to the book folder with the other files. I added it to the book. I generated. I got a TOC based on my template. However, the generated file would not use my first page master page and when I try to apply it manually, it brings in the unattached text box on the master page, but doesn't use ANY text box flows from ANY master pages in the TOC template (or ANY of the files in the book for that matter). Instead, I've got a text box that starts at 1" from the top without any side heads. Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
Michael

Is it possible to post or email me the files? It is hard to answer without seeing the files.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back