Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i format hard drive using xp pro and reinstall xp pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccray

Technical User
Jun 19, 2003
US
how do i format my hard drive using xp pro and then reinstall xp pro from scratch???

You can't Format a drive from windows if windows is installed on that drive. if it's not, right click and format
if it is, you need to boot from the windows cd and format from the setup

if your computer does not boot from cd you need to change the boot sequence in the bios (hit delete when you turn it on)

just in case!

Rafmag
:)

The best way that I have found to Totally wipe out windows XP is if you have a windows 98 boot disk.

If you have it, Boot up to it, and choose CD rom support.

Then you will have a DOS prompt.

Type "Format C:" without the quotes.

After that, follow the directions.

To reinstall windows, First, change the BIOS first boot drive (Get into BIOS by either pressing del or F2 during the boot sequence..It'll tell you which to press)

Change the boot drive to your CD-ROM. Save and exit.

After that, restart the computer with the CD in the drive.

Follow all the instructions, and that is it.

(Afterwards, be sure you set the first boot drive back to the floppy drive)

Hope this helps
JABSNH

Just boot to the cd, and choose new installation. The it will ask you to choose a partition to install on. Choose to delete and create new partition, and it will then format it it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back