Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do I force backups to use the backup network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallender

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2006
US
I have a Networker 7.3.1 Unix Server a NW 7.3.1 Unix Client with backup NICS configured on a 10.1.10.xxx network. How do I FORCE the two to perform backups over the backup network so I get the full Bandwidth benefit? It seems like when the backups run on the public NICs, I get about 5-7MB/Sec throughput or 18-20GB/Hour. But when the BackupNics are used, I see as much as 40mb/Sec or 144GB/Hour. Both Backup NICs are GIG. The production is 100MB. The client resource is configured with the hostnamebk interfaces first and the hostname as an alias like this.

hostnamebk
hostnamebk.fully.qualified.domainname
hostname
hostname.fully.qualified.domainname

All four names have to be in the aliases field. Also, the server network interface field has my legatobk.fully.qualified.domainname in it.

here we go ... have a look at your other thread.

Ok, Instructor, Is the answer in my other thread. No it isn't.

If you don't know the answer, perhaps someone else does, but please don't answer questions by referencing other threads that don't have the answer either or is difficult to find....

Thanks!

It should be an IP routing metric issue.

Do a netstat -rn on the client and look at the current route table entries.

Do a man route to study the commands for setting routes.

Your goal is to create a static routing entry in the routing table that has a better metric (i.e. a lower number means a better path) to reach the Networker server via the BackupNic than the PublicNic.

You may need to force routes using the PublicNic to have a higher metric, thus the BackupNic will become the path of choice.

Oh, and once you figure out what command will set your routes the way you want you will have to put that command somewhere in a startup file so that it will be applied each time the client is rebooted.

Try traceroute as well, this may give you the "path" taken between the two machines.

In theory (well mine anyway) a backup network should be "private", so the only nodes are those that need to use it, with no gateways to other networks, makes life simple.

Unfortunately, reality is not ...

M

Make sure your Networker Server has the Backup Interface as the Primary NIC and configure the Networker server as the Backup Server name......

Then configure all the client using their Backup Interface names, and if necessary also enter their Prod NIC name in as an alias.....but if they still try to use the Admin Lan, update each Client to have the Networker Servers Backup Interface name entered into the "Server Interface" section.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back