Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I fix windows 2000 TCP/IP stack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mshen

Technical User
May 29, 2001
AU
hey there,

when I installed w2ksp4 and groupwise client, my outlook 2000 reported an error. then I cannot browse local nz site. I can ping nz sites. I tried IE6 repair, still the same.

maybe the TCP/IP is corrupted. I cannot remove the TCP/IP protocal from my PC's nic because its greyed out.

so is there any tool to fix/restore windows 2000 TCp/IP without installing a fresh w2k?

Many Thanks in advance

Can you test it by un-installing the nic, shutting everything down and putting in a different nic? Re-boot and see what the machine finds and let us know what happens. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Action is the proper fruit of knowledge."
Thomas Fuller (1610-1661); English scholar, preacher

maybe it cause by sp4.
first uninstall the sp4 and then the nic.
second,install sp4 and nic.
please remember the order

good luck

hey there,

thanks for the advice.

I have already tried a MS Howto(Q299451) last night, Remove and Reinstall TCP/IP on a windows 2000 domain controller.

I entered the directory restore mode, and followed the instructions, almost. because some keys are missing in my w2k reg, like lanmanworkstation and lanmanserver. then I noticed tcp/ip is working again.
But I can't login to w2000 server afterwards. after ctrl+alt+del, I can't see the screen for me to input name/pass. stuck.
in despair, I pressed F8 again, used last known good configuration, then I can logon, and TCP/IP works.

I will see whether the server functions normally tonight.

cheers

Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Action is the proper fruit of knowledge."
Thomas Fuller (1610-1661); English scholar, preacher

By the way, the Lanman server you wil have it just if you have "File and Printer Service for Microsoft Network" bound to your network interface.
Maybe what you are trying to install need it.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back