Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I find out which library(s) I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocken

MIS
Apr 25, 2001
US
I'm trying to run an VB exe with a MS Access db on a LAN. Whenever I run the exe on a PC that doesn't have Visual Studio I rec' the error message Run Time Error '91' Object variable or With block varible not set. Why when I run the exe. on my PC locally c drive the programs works but not on the server? Thanks for help!!

Object variable or With Block not set typically means that either a database object or a recordset object is not being set, or got set and then closed before it was called. Since this doesn't happen on your PC, you face the unenvieable task of trying to find an run time error that doesn't occur in design mode. Since you wrote the program, you can probably figure out what routine should be executing when the error occurs. Check that routine to see what objects might possibly be closing or getting unset.

Object variable or With Block not set typically means that either a database object or a recordset object is not being set, or got set and then closed before it was called. It can also happen if you have a hard coded path that exists on your machine, but does not exist on your users machine. Since this doesn't happen on your PC, you face the unenvieable task of trying to find an run time error that doesn't occur in design mode. Since you wrote the program, you can probably figure out what routine should be executing when the error occurs. Check that routine to see what objects might possibly be closing or getting unset, or possibly causing a path issue.

Have you installed the latest MDAC_TYP.EXE on the other machine? It will install the necessary ADO, ODBC, etc. files there.

It's possible that your missing object isn't related to database access. On your development machine, open the references dialog (Project|References...) and see which ones you haven't installed on the other machine. Same applies to any custom controls that you're using.

The Package & Deployment Wizard is pretty good at spotting these COM dependencies, did you use it to package your application for distribution?

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back