Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I find how Access is processing my passthrough SQL statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

e7akerson

Technical User
Nov 17, 2000
US
I am trying to utilize SQL in Access to speed up my queries. While running the queries frequently half my video display disappears and I can't tell if and when the query is done. When checking what is happening with Windows NT task manager Microsoft Access appl is shown to be "Not Responding." This is really aggravating because when SQL appears to work my most complex queries seem to be super-charged and the results are correct. Is there something simple I can do to monitor the progress of these queries?

i don't think so, Not Responding just means 'Im really really busy'. Have a look at the queries that are slow to make sure that joins or wheres are correct. Also look at the network traffic. You might find an awful lot of data is being copied locally and then a join is done producing a small number of records. I had one that transferred several hundred megabytes and finished with 10 records. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

Peter,

That is just ONE of the MANY meanings. It can also mean "I'm lost", I have no Idea what you are asking for, so I'll search until I don't find it", "I've been interrupted by something else and I don't know if it will ever finish (but it doesn't look like it from here)", " ... and you question was ... ", and so on ...

There is/was a "StillExecuting" function in an early release of MS. Access, but I never used it in a Pass-Through query. I can't think WHY it would work in that situation, since Ms. Access is just waiting for the server response.
MichaelRed
redmsp@erols.com

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Thanks for the help. I worked with my company's IT SQL Server support person and he set me up to use SQL Server's query analyzer and test my SQL statements. This is so much more usable in explaining what is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back