Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I fake frames on pages to get consistent layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asp3232

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
US
Hi,

I know this may sound like a bizarre question, but our corporate IT group is not allowing frames on pages, so the standard way of doing it is to create tables to do the layout.

A typical page will include a standard module that has a "tabbed-style" navigation bar across the top, and then create a table with a menu on the left side (much like these forums).

My question is this: I'd like to have a basic page that is used as the master for all pages, and be able to update the content on the right side (I'll call it the main content area), and also have a second menu below the first (on the left side). (thereby not having to update the code on every page when I want to change the master).

Because the main content area is in the middle of a table, I haven't found a way to have a master page. I tried breaking the main html file into 3 files: one with the HTML to create the table and the first part of the table layout, the second with the main page code on it (including the main content area), and a third with the remainder of the table code after the main content area.

I then put an include statement above the main content area to include the file with the table code in it, and put one at the end as well for the rest of the table code.

However, this doesn't work (I assume because the table definition is not completed in each file).

Any ideas? I figure there's got to be a nice simple way to do this, but I don't know what it is!

Thanks!

Asp

This would be the best way of doing things. Complete the tables in the includes. Explorer is usually pretty forgiving. do you have a sample URL that is giving you trouble? DeZiner
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic

You could use asp and the include page if you are familiar with active server pages and your server supports it. Just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back