Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I ensure that there are no files on defective USB flash memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalamo

Technical User
Sep 22, 2002
IL
I bought a new 4 GB USB flash memory a few days ago. After I had loaded it with about 2 GB of valuable files, it stopped working. If I insert it now, I get a message "Please insert disk into Drive G", but of course it's already inserted. I just can't get to the files anymore. I'm sure it's the fault of the memory stick. I tried it on other PCs with the same result, and other memory sticks work in the same USB port.

My vendor will replace it, or refund my money, but it's possible that all or some of my files are still in the memory, and I just can't access them. So if I return it, it's very possible that a distributor or manufacturer will be able to access them. The files have personal information on them, and I can't risk that.

Does anyone know how I can be sure that the memory is wiped clean (I can't gain access to reformat) short of giving the stick a couple of swift blows with a hammer?

The first thing to determine would be if it is physical failure or a logical failure. If its physical there's no chance of getting anything back.

If its a logical failure then there could potentially be ways of getting back the data.

If you are using this on a Windows Pc you can use the Disk Management and check if it appears there, only as a drive without format.

You can then attempt to format it from there.
of course formatting will not prevent a determined person from getting the data back.

If not I would not worry to much about it, as normally manufacturers will just take apart the device re-use what they want and discard the rest. They don't go digging around for files in non functional drives.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

vacunita, thanks.

I don't want to get anything back (I have all the data backed up somewhere else). I just want to be sure that nobody else gets at it either. I assume that the problem is physical. I couldn't do formatting from disk management. But this does not necessarily mean that the memory chip itself is damaged or has been wiped clean.

I agree that "normally manufacturers will just take apart the device re-use what they want and discard the rest. They don't go digging around for files in non functional drives". However, this does not mean that somebody at the manufacturer's site will not do it. I'm not being paranoid, but it's not worth the risk.

I understand, what you are saying, but as you put it in your original post, if you can;t actually access the drive, short of taking a hammer to it, there's not much you can do to ensure it can't be retrieved.

Basically you would need to repair it to get functional again and have access to it, and then run data wiping apps on it to make sure the data is gone.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Yeah, I say, as cheap as a 4GB drive is nowadays, if you had sensitive data on it, just make sure it doesn't survive. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

kjv1611, I agree. I'm going for the 2 swift blows with a hammer. It will also give me a deep satisfaction.

Just remember, if you really want to make sure the specific memory is messed up, don't worry about the connector. it's the little piece(s) of flash memory under all the plastic where the data is! [smile]

Go get it!
[cannon]
[machinegun]
[laser]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

kjv1611, thanks. I realize that. I was too lazy to go to my toolbox to fetch a hammer, so I took a jeweler's screwdriver and pliers that I keep near my PC, and pried the damned thing apart. I'm now looking at the little circuit board with an IC (probably a processor) on one side and the memory chip on the other. This is really a generic memory stick - even the chips don't have markings on them.

I'll try bending the circuit board a little, tapping the contacts with a small screw driver, and generally playing around with it in hopes of revivifying it, but I doubt it. Then I'll cut the chip up and toss it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back