Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do I enable TFTP service in TI After NetBoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewAllen

Technical User
Jan 23, 2004
US
I NetBooted an ARN running 14.20r5 for both its image and config. The Netboot went ok and I logged in to the TI. A dir showed nothing on Flash, so I attempted a [tt]tftp get[/tt] and was told the TFTP service was not active. I issued a [tt]set wfTftp.1.0 1[/tt] and I was still told TFTP service is not active.

What am I doing wrong? Is it the set? Surely I can retrieve the full set of OS files after a netboot!

Thanks!

Andy Ford
Austin

Can you ping any network devices from this router?
If you ca hook up a pc to this router you can modify the config.exe to turn on the FTO server and client.
Did the config you'Netbooted" have ftp server and client configured?

Good luck.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Rick,

To answer your questions:

1. I did not try that, actually. Based on the "[tt]TFTP Service Not Active[/tt]" message, I did not focus my efforts in the ICMP area. I'll check that out.

2. config.exe ? Are you referring to the "config" file that my ARN boots from in addition to arn.exe? I don't have Site Manager so offline work with the config file is not available.

3. No it did not. It is the default config file that comes with the OS distribution. I was trying to figure out how to use MIB sets to activate the TFTP service. The sets don't appear to work. Now I am wondering if the module or whatever needed for TFTP support is not present. I wonder this because I also cannot activate the [tt]xmodem[/tt] command, nor can I perform gets and lists of the MIBs properly. Also, there are no other files on the flash. It is completely empty.

I wonder if issuing a [tt]save config config[/tt] would help anything.

Oh yeah, when working with the wfTftp sets I did follow them with a [tt]commit[/tt].

Andy Ford
Austin

I am wondering what's in the config(config.exe) file you netnooted.
You can download site manager from Nortel's web site.
I am guessing that the mib set commands do not work because of the config fole you net booted.
There are so many variables I hate to point you in the wrong direction.

Rick Harris
Network Operations

Rick,

Unfortunately (in this case) I work for an all Mac shop so I can't use SM. I do like the direction you are going with the config file. The one I used was the 132 byte job that comes with the distro. I will try again with a config already set up with TFTP active.

I'll report back here with my results.

Thanks for your help.

Andy Ford
Austin

There may be 2 files on that config which may help you.
TI_arn.cfg & inst_arn.
These are "quick start" files which allow you to create a config file.Then you could telnet to the router.
If you had a Windows machine of some type router management would be a lot easier.

Regards

Rick Harris
Network Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back