Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i eliminate duplicate rows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnstapes

Programmer
Jul 17, 2001
US
I'm wrting a query to combine two tables, and I need a way to eliminate
redundant entries. Both tables have the same primary key and the rest
of the columns are also the same. The problem that I'm having is that it's possible for both tables to have the same value for the primary key, and sometimes I want the value from table A and other times I want the value from table B. The value
that I need is the row that has the most values filled in. For example,
say my table contains the following columns: Part (primary key), team,
process, date. Each table can have the same value for part, let's call
the value "part 1". The row from table A could have a value for part,
process, and date, but not team. The row from table B could have just
part and process filled in. In this case, I would want the row from
table A, because it has more columns filled in.

Any ideas? I know this has to be a problem that other people have had.

Thanks,
Dana

Hmmm, how about using an update query before you combine the tables. The update query would join Table A to Table B on the primary key and could update table A with table B's info if the field in table A is empty.

After running this query you are assured that for all your duplicate entries Table A has the most info. Therefore you can take all your info from table A and only pull the entries from table B that aren't in table A. Maq [americanflag]
<insert witty signature here>

You could use the IIF function for one or more columns in your query, like this:

IIF(TABLE_A_COLUMN IS NULL, TABLE_B_COLUMN, TABLE_A_COLUMN) AS YourCombinedColumn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back