Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i edit table data using a form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinrobson

Programmer
Jun 2, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am still fairly new to this, hence all the posts.

I am trying to alter an existing application which is very messy and isnt helping. Im using Access 97

The problem is this: I would like to ammend data in my tables. I have a form which uses a list box to select the corresponding data from the table, i then use sql to populate a form with this data. That works fine, however i would like to edit this data, and i dont really know how to.

I have set the form up to be editable. From what i can make out i need to ensure the recorset is editabale as well. The application currently has loads of functions, with no documentation so i cant really make head nor tail of alot of it.

Do i need to make a separate function/module to allow me to edit the recordset? and how do i link the function/module to the form?

Thanks for your help on this.
Martin

This issue is much too complex for a beginner if you try to add code to save the edited data.

An EASY approach is to "bind" the form to the data by setting the RecordSource property of the Form to your SQL statement, or to a query that stores your SQL statement.

You may choose to remove your WHERE and your ORDER BY clauses, and put them in the Filter and OrderBy properties of the form instead.

This capitalizes upon the beautiful simplicity of MS Access.

--Shaun Merrill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back