Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I edit Mozilla's dropdown URL list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willhyde

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
GB
Hi,
is it possible to edit the drop down URL list in Mozilla? I want to erase certain entries but not clear all.
Thanks.

Is it the Navigator History you are talking about ? As in IE, the only option available is to Clear History (in Edit/Preferences).

Pascal.

Negative.
In IE, one can regedit to Typed Urls and manually delete selected entries. Not sure if/how this exists with Mozilla, but would be worth a look.

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

I checked the registry for some of my history elements and there are none there.

That is why I say there is only the Clear option.

Pascal.

Willhyde is right. In IE you can select the History icon from the toolbar. This opens up a window on the left side that allows you to edit visited URL's sorted by time, Todays, Yesterdays, Lastweek, etc. I haven't found a way to do this with Firefox 0.8 yet.

pmonett
I understand what you're saying, but...in IE, most anything that shows in your URL drop down will be found at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs, where you can edit items out individually, as this is for what the poster is really angling.
However, this is probably a moot point, as Mozilla is a different beast. The best way to test would be do a FIND within regedit on the URL in question and see if any hits point one in the right direction.

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

[color]A quick way to delete all entries from this dropdown (in Windows XP) is to navigate to the following location...

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default
...this should contain a single directory. Double-click it then delete the file 'localstore.rdf' - this will remove all entries from your dropdown list of URLs. Someone else may want to advise how safe this is though?[/color]

Tom
emo_big_smile.gif

I haven't explored this option with Mozilla v1.6 yet, but with Firebird/Firefox you can go to "View", "Toolbars", "Customize" and in the window that comes up left click and hold on "History" and drag it up to whichever toolbar you wish it to be in. That will open a "History" window to the left of the main window EXACTLY like Internet Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back