Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do I distribute VB 6.0 executable programs to non-VB users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

estatefacts

Programmer
May 22, 2002
US
How Do I distribute VB 6.0 executable programs to non-VB users?

I have VB 6.0 and I know how to make a program executable. I have tried using the wizard but I guess I just don't understand how to use this properly. I keep geting files missing errors when I try to run the program on another computer that does not have VB installed. I'm really starting to feel stupid! Please help thanks!
David

If there's a project reference for an ActiveX OCX or DLL then the Package and Deployment Wizard should include the necessary dependencies in the package. But if you late bind to any objects by dimming them as Object or Variant and don't have a project reference to them then you need to identify the dependent files and manually add them to the package.

Can you be more specific about which files are missing?

Paul Bent
Northwind IT Systems

Even if you didn't add any references use the Package and Deployment Wizard. VB is not a stand alone program. The VB exe needs, at least, the VB runtime files (6 files I believe) which the PDW will include in the setup file. You are free to distribute these files.

You can find the PDW through the addin manager or in the windows 'Start-programs-Visual Studio 6.0-tools' folder.

Take Care,

zemp

"Show me someone with both feet on the ground and I will show you someone who can't put their pants on."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back