Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I display a messagebox at startup up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

splat78423

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2005
US
this should be generally simple to do. I would like to display a messagebox to the user just befor the desktop loads during windows start up. I imagine it would be best to just make a simple vbs script with one line of code such as:

msgbox("enter whatever here")

does anyone out there have any advice as to what would be the best way to do this? What file do I have to save the script in to get it to at startup? If I drop it in the startup folder will it run? Just wanna see what you guys would do befor I get to work on it.

Thanks

You mentioned you want it to run before the desktop loads. The only way to do that is to use a group policy login event. If you put it in the startup folder it won't run until after desktop loads.

Is this a Use Warning? Something that the user has to agree to before logging on and using the compter?

yes it is a use warning. so you would suggest group policy login event in that case correct?

Yeah. Theres a policy that forces the user to accept the box before it will continue login. The best part is that it's stored on the domain controller so a user can't "accidentally" delete the app.

Try this...

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system]
"legalnoticecaption"="Your Company Here"
"legalnoticetext"="No Hacking-We're watching you"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back