Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I disable DNS on W2K Advanced Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erik5104

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
US
I have a highspeed net connection for my home network. I have a copy of Windows 2000 Advanced Server loaded for my server (dont ask why, it was the only OS i could get hold of at the time, lol)

In any event, I shared the connection, and for my DNS servers under my TCP/IP configuration on my Windows 2000 Professional machines, i had to put my ISP's DNS servers. If i obtained them automatically, i have to type in the IP address of every website i want to go to. This is all fine and dandy execpt every time my Windows 2000 Professional logs on, it hangs for a long time while it is "Preparing Network Connections". Fifteen minutes later, when i do put in my login ID and password, it takes another Fifteen minutes to "Load Professional Settings".

Can anybody help me out with this? Thanx in advance :)

Erik

Erik, I have w2k Adv. Server running here as well, at home. This machine is an email server, web server (multiple sites), DNS server, and router. For the NIC that recieves the internet connection from the cable company, I have it set to Obtain IP addresses and DNS addresses automatically. Everything works just fine. Is this a dual boot machine, or do you have W2k Pro machines using the LAN or shared connection? I would start from scratch and disable ICS. Set up your server for DHCP, or to Obtain IP's automatically. See if it works. Then go from there.

I have gone thru the same scenario when i started with WIndows 2000 few years back.

Its all due to DNS entries and the role of win2K server, as DNS is a requirement for domain. You have to have local DNS server, and make sure that the first DNS entry in your TCP/IP properties on your client machines is your local DNS server IP (if you are using DHCP then make sure that DHCP server is assigning DNS IPs in proper order). Rest you can put your ISP DNS server entries. Every thing will work like a charm. e.g, my DHCP server assigns following DNS entries to my DHCP clients:

DNS1: 192.168.35.10 (my local DNS server IP)
DNS2: 151.164.8.11 (1st DNS server IP from my ISP)
DNS3: 151.164.111.121 (2nd DNS server IP from my ISP)

If you hard code the IP address for your clients then you still have to follow the above order.

All the best.

Hi

I would set it up by putting your ISP's DNS's in as Forworders, they will look up any requests that you local DNS fails on, to put in forwarders, open DNS, right click you server name, and select "propertys", the second tab is forworders, add um in there.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back