Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I Dail-up on Solaris7??? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomii

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
GB
Hello All,

I'm have trouble understanding how a Modem can be connect to my SunSolaris7 for dail-up access to the internet.

Can anyone please give me a kick-start as I'm pretty new to Solaris and have no idea where to start.!

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
tommy

try they've got some good scripts

worked easily for one of our guys for home use ... they have some good solaris tools there.

Hey...good site, thanks!!
Just one thing, do you if theres any restriction on what
type of Modem i can use. I'm i right in thinking that
any standard external PC modem ie..56K, V90, etc..would do??
What about the drivers? do i need them for solaris cos all
drivers which come with the modem are for PC right?

Many thanks!
tommy

external modems are great, they usually talk a standard set of instructions ... but do go for one that can do the standard set ...

i've never had much luck/love of internal modems, even under windows, and i can't see if they're doing things right :)

look in /etc/uucp/Dialers (i think) and you should find a modem type that is compatible with externals :)

Hi,

I am using Solaris 2.6 on a SUN Ultra10 machine. It seems that I have trouble installing a modem to the Ultra10. I followed the website that Jad has proposed but does not work. I followed SUN website but still it does not work. It is always when I "tip modem", the machine just prompt me "connected". When I type something on the keyboard, there is no response either on the modem or Ultra10. Only when I "tip /dev/cua/b" and type something on the keyboard, the lights on the modem start flashing.

Is there anything that I need to take note of when installing the modem? The modem I am using is U.S Robotics 56K modem.

Does anyone know how to solve the above problem?

Please help!

ok ...

look in /etc/uucp/Dialers ... and find your device (usrv32-ec or usrv32-nec)

edit /etc/uucp/Devices ... (should be there on 6, was on our old machine)

look for 'ACU cua/a - Any hayes' or something similar ...

# it out

add 'ACU cua/b Any usrv32-ec' or nec whichever you're using ...

hope this works :)

Jon

when I try the tip command I get an error stating can't synchronize with Hayes. What can I check to start correcting this issue. I am trying to connect a modem to my box and have yet to get it to work. What files should I have configured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back