Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I create menus as a site-tab on the top navigation bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iliask

Programmer
Feb 19, 2009
GR
Hi All,

I am new in SharePoint development and I am trying to make an intranet site for the purposes of my company. I have managed to add sites in my primary site collection and eventually create a site hierarchy but I have to navigate to a level in the hierarchy in order to find the next level sites.

What I want to do is to create a menu in the top-bar navigation which will include the subsites as a drop-down list in order to be accessible directly from the parent site (homepage). For example I want to do something like the tab "SharePoint Resources and Links" in the following SharePoint portal:

Thanks in advance, I hope I was clear enough to get an answer!

I realize it's been a while since you posted this but let me see if I can help.

The sample you showed has a collection of sub-sites in a heirarchy. If I understand your question correctly you're wanting all of the sub-sites to show on the horizontal navigation bar all the time.

Site Settings > Modify All Site Settings > Navigation (under Look and Feel) > ensure "Show subsites" is checked.

Now within any of your subsites go to Site Actions > Settings > Navigation (under Look and Feel) > select "Display the same navigation items as the parent site" (under Global Navigation) > OK

You'll have to do that for each sub-site.

so you can have the subsites of the parent site look ike the example you gave?

Elizabetht

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back