Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I create fake directories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpvic03

Technical User
Aug 2, 2006
For example, if somebody wanted to create a custom url that was like
I don't want to have to create a real directory for every person. Is there a way around this?

Thanks for your help!

If I am correctly understanding what you want to do, I have done something similar before.

I allowed users to upload files to an intranet site. During the upload process (after the file succuessfully loaded) I inserted a DB record linking the file to a key in a table. Then to access their uploaded file I used a link like:
Then it is just a simple query to find the file name and then logic to handle opening it for the user.

That's not exactly what I'm trying to do... I would want somebody going to to take them to their account. Coldfusion would parse out the My_name and then send it to something like account.cfm?user=My_name.

Not sure if that is possible. Coldfusion can only parse documents where it recognizes the extension (.cfm,.cfc).

The link posted by DigitalRedneck is a good example of how to do something similar to what you are wanting. But as Ray's blog demonstates you need the .cfm file in the URL (or coldfusion won't parse it).

Not True.

Read the Article and the Comments.... Usually the comments have more and even better info than the article...

You can use IIS or Apache to do server side parsing

which would allow you to have url's like

Yes, it is true. My point is that Coldfusion won't parse it. I never commented on IIS/Apache parsing capabilities. I just wanted to ensure it was clear coldfusion can't do this.

From the Comments section:

"I try it, it works. Another question, instead of this
if I want to achieve this,
or
How would I do it?"

Ray's response:

"For that to work you need to do it at the web server. Apache has this support built in, and for IIS you need an add on. But the point is - it has to be done _below_ ColdFusion. "

Thanks!

sorry for the bad vibe not trying to ruffle any fethers...

I was just stating that you could have IIS or Apache to do the rewrite and you could have pretty URL's..

That is all..

Again, Sorry if my comments were taken rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back