Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I create an Outline Numbered TOC in Word 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelser

Instructor
May 14, 2005
IE
In Word 2003 I used to be able to create a style - Format menu - New - name it, then click on the Format button - Numbering - then select Outline Numbering - Then when I made my Table of Contents, the Numbering was brought into the TOC at the start of the text. The option to pick Outline numbering is no longer there in 2007, through that Format button. Does anyone know another way that I can acheive this?

Hi Kelser,

The same option is still there. Use Insert|Quick Parts|Field|TOC>Table of Contents>Options, then make sure 'outline levels' is checked (it's checked by default).

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Hi and thanks for replying. I've gone through those steps, but I'm still unable to create a style with the outline numbering. When I create a new style and click on the Format - Numbering... button - there is a Numbering tab heading and a Bullets tab heading, but no Outline Numbering tab heading. Why did they remove it? It's so frustrating!

Hi Kelser,

Perhaps I mis-read your original post - I thought you were complaining of an inability to use Outline levels in a TOC.

I now see that what you're referring to is the removal of the 'Outline Numbering' tab accessed via Format|Numbering. You get the same functionality now via multilevel list numbering. To do this, click the arrow next to Multilevel List on the Paragraph Tab on the Home Ribbon. For more details, see 'multilevel list' in Word 2007's Help file.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Thanks again - you put me on the right trail! I see that now I have to create the style separately from the multilevel list (unlike before) and when I go to the multilevel list area, I click on the More button at the bottom, and click the down arrow beside Link level to style: then choose the style I want to attach the multilevel list to. Then I can apply my stlye and go ahead and create my TOC.
I don't know why such a previously simple procedure has been made so awkward!
Thank you so much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back