Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I create a new table in an access database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergman

Technical User
Oct 19, 2000
US
I can't seem to figure out how to create a new table.
I'm trying to create an interface so each employee has their own table in the database, but I need to be able to add new ones without physically adding them into the DB.
I don't know the command unforunatly.
Any help would be great.

Please explain this! (but I need to be able to add new ones without physically adding them into the DB.)

I mean, I don't want to download the .mdp file, open it in access and create a new table, I want the sql command to do the same thing. (for an end user that doesn't know how to use an FTP client) basically, I am creating a web app for scheduling purposes that one of the things i need to be able to do is have the person in charge of scheduling create a new employee with that is also a brand new access table.
whew, this is hard to explain....
-Nathan

why a brand new table for each employee? why not one table tblEmployees for all employees?

Fergman,

Do you mean that you want a "Form" that will pop-up so a new employee's information can be added to the dbase?

Steve

I think Ginger has asked the most important question. Don't create multiple tables if they are all going to contain the same info. Create one table with an extra field to denote which employee the records are for. That way, you don't have to jump through hoops when you need to write your queries... Terry M. Hoey

th3856 is absolutely right, I am in the proccess of building an Employee database now, an I have basically two tables to work with, one for Employee information and one for attendence information. These two tables will contain inforamation for a hundred different employees and two years of attendence information on each eployee. As you can see alot of information can be stored in one table. The only information that should be present in both tables is probably the employee number and that should then be your primary key. If how ever you insist on individual tables, you can start a query and with SQL you can use the CREATETABLE comand, but in the query must enter all of the fields, and their name, types and etc. It is quite extenceive and a real pain to do. How this helps.

You were all right, I decided it would be easier to use an empoyee table, instead of a seperate table for each employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back