Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I create a login page with FP2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usalabs1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
The web hosting service I use don't allow password protected subwebs, and as a result I can't use a registration page, therefore, the only way I can do this, is to create a login page, that when a user enters the correct user name and password, it allows access to the page I set up, but a wrong user name/password results in a different page being displayed, and returns to the login page, but after a 3rd attempt another different page is displayed asking the user if they have forgotten their user name or password. Is this possible using FP2000?

if the isp permits you to use active coding (php or asp) in conjunction with a database you could maintain your own protection mechanism. you'd have to provide pages for logon, probably use cookies to maintain state, and use a script segment at the beginning of each protected page to check if user is authorized, then redirect if not or drop-through if yes. a pain, but do-able. in short, FP itself won't do it for you, but you could do it with coding, if your isp supports it.

dnk.......Is there any software available that would do this for me? As I don't understand php or asp coding, I can only program in assembly language.

Remember that .asp code does not compile! The user can just click "view source" and see your super-secret security system. Consequently, I would not use it to implement a security system.

Frontpage does support this, lots of my hosting clients ask the same question, If your isp doesn't allow password protected subwebs, then I would change ISP's first,

However if they won't allow subwebs, then simply create a folder and put all the pages that you want password protected in the folder.

Next tell the isp to remove the everyone and iusr permissions from the folder then set whomever you want to acces the folder with read and write permissions, I folder acts just like a subweb when the permissions are changed.

When you remove the everyone and iusr from a folder then every time you try to access a page in that folder from a web brouser it will ask you for a username and password automatically.

You don't need any special coding etc.

carey@kysales.com

templaters........I can change the access permission(s) of either a folder or file(s) on the hosting server via ftp/unix command CHMOD, there are 3 catagories of permissions to change, OWNER....GROUP....and PUBLIC, and each one has settings for READ.....WRITE.....and EXECUTE, which one of those do I change for IE to ask for a password?

I like the folder-based suggestion alot. It will provide fairly stout security with very little coding.

chmod is the standard unix command for changing security settings. Any good unix tutorial should tell you how to use it.

I tried the folder based method, by using the CHMOD command but all that happens is when somebody tries to access a page within the protected folder, IE only displays something like 'You do not have permission to view this page' and not display a login box.

I have found various java scripts that can request a user login first, before granting access to the folder or page, but the problem is, I would like to have a registration page (with email validation) to show first, so that a user would register to recieve a use name/password.

I have found java scripts that work for the login I wanted, 1 for the login, and the other to disable the right click context menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back