Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I create a Grouped Multi-column report ?(grouped "mailing list)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trent

Programmer
Aug 20, 1999
US
I need to create a report that is a directory. The format is very similar to a mailing list except that it needs to be grouped. I have tried to group a mailing list but when I do the multi-column format converts to a single column format.

To create a report that looks like a mailing label with Grouped data DO Not use Mailing Labels.<br>
<br>
In Crystal Reports<br>
<br>
Click File/New<br>
Click Custom<br>
Click Multi-column<br>
Click Data Type (Data File, SQL/ODBC, or Dictionary)<br>
<br>
For example SQL/ODBC and connect to the datasource providing username and password, if required.<br>
<br>
Choose the SQL Table, For example Clients.<br>
<br>
Now the Section Expert will appear:<br>
<br>
Click the Layout Tab<br>
<br>
The example below assumes you want a three (3) column report with a group Header that extends across the top of the page.<br>
<br>
Detail Width 2.5<br>
Gap Between Details Horizontal 0.040<br>
Vertical 0.025<br>
<br>
Printing Direction Down then across<br>
<br>
DO NOT CHOOSE Format Groups with Multiple colums.<br>
<br>
Click OK,<br>
<br>
Now do the report:<br>
<br>
Insert Group, Example State and when you choose the group select Print Group Header on New Page, In the format section for the group choose New Page Before (Looks nicer). Place the group field in the section if you don't have Crystal doing this automatically and format it as bold with a box and drop shadow and drag the right edge of the field to the right edge of report (looks nice)<br>
<br>
Insert 2 detail sections below detail A<br>
<br>
this gives you three details A - Put Client Name here<br>
B - Put line 2 like address<br>
C - Put line 3 City State and Zip<br>
By having the three detail sections you can format each individual section to Suppress Blank section so you don't get blank lines when say there is no address.<br>
<br>
Good Luck,<br>
<br>
email me with any questions or problems on this<br>
<p>Rosemary Lieberman<br><a href=mailto:rosemary@microflo.com>rosemary@microflo.com</a><br><a href= Software International, LLC</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back