Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I create a fulltext index on a view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afroblanca

Programmer
Jul 15, 2005
US
Hello all,

I'm wanting to do a CONTAINS query on fields that belong to two seperate tables. So, for example, this is what I'd *like* to do :

SELECT ci.itemName
FROM Content_Items ci
INNER JOIN Content_Pages AS cp ON ci.contentItemId = cp.contentItemId
INNER JOIN FREETEXTTABLE(Content_Items, (ci.title, cp.pageText), @searchString) AS ft ON ci.contentItemId = ft.[KEY]

However, this will not work, since SQL Server won't let you do fulltext queries against more then one table.

So my idea is to create a view that combines my Content_Items table with the desired column from my Content_Pages table. I would then create a fulltext index on this view, and do fulltext queries against it.

It seems like this should work. However, when I try to create a fulltext index on my newly-created view, I get this error :
A unique column must be defined on this table/view.

How do I create a unique column within a view?

Also, will my approach work, or will it have unintended consequences? I'm using this as part of a search component in my software, so it has to perform reasonably well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back