Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I Create a distribution list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all,

I need to create a distribution list for a group of people who aren't a part of my network. The number of people on this list is pretty small at this time but we expect it to grow to about 500 members (and hopefully more) in about 90 days. The membership of this list is going to be pretty dynamic (so I don't want to create user accounts for them) and I would like to delegate control of this list to one of my users so she can modify the members of this list from her workstation (Outlook 2k on XP). I've looked in my 70-224 book, I've checked on the Microsoft support web site and I've searched the forums here without any luck. Can anyone here give me some direction on how to create this distribution list and delegate the control to one of my users???

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Distribution groups are created in Active Directory users and computers. You will want to start off by creating an Organizational Unit.

Then you will have to Right click on the OU and choose "New" then "Contact". It will walk you through the rest of the settings for creating the new contact for the office (you will have to do this for every contact added).

Then Create a new "Group" inside of the new OU calling it whatever you would like. After the group is created, right click on the group and choose exchange tasks. Choose "Establish an e-mail address" and follow the rest of the options available.

Once you have an email address assigned to the new group simply add the new contacts as members of that group. The group and all of the contacts will appear in the global address list for your domain.

To hide the individual contacts and just display the group: make sure you can view the "Advanced Features" for the MMC. Open the properties for the contact and on the "Exchange Advanced" tab of the contact there is a check box to hide itself from the main list.

This will allow you to open your global address list in outlook and only see the group of contacts, and not 500 indivual contacts. Unless that's what you want.

You can also create a Public folder in Outlook and go through an entirely different process to achieve the same goal. Either way will be time consuming.

If there is a better way I would love to hear it.

Actually, I was hoping for a way to create a group and delegate control of that group to the lady who will be entering the e-mail addresses. Then she could enter the e-mail addresses and we could bypass all of the account creation issues.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

rom10910

Remember exchange only handles 25 - 50 people in a dl list.
If you only type in the users name and email you can make your list 50 people. If you use more than that you can only use 25 people per list. I ran into this and got alot of ndrs, so I fixed to reflect the above and all was well.

Of course this is assuming you use exchange!

Dan Crandell

. Distribution list owners can use Outlook's Address Book to add or remove users from a list. You can use the General tab in the Distribution List's Properties sheet to assign an Owner to the list. Though each distribution list can only have one Owner, other users can have permissions equivalent to Owner to add and remove list members. To assign multiple owners, click the Permissions tab in the Distribution List's Properties sheet. Then click Add and select the NT account to which you want to assign owner permissions and click OK. Finally, select the user that you added and change the Role to User. The default Admin role is only appropriate for Exchange administrators. Assigning multiple owners distributes the list's administration load across several people and ensures that someone (other than you, hopefully) will be available to modify a list's membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back