Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I correct access denied errors?/7.0 NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

netgarza

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2001
US
I am expierencing random backup failures with the message access denied to directory \yada\yada\yada\yada\.

The failure is random and I cannot pinpiont the problem. I am running backup exec. 7.0 on NT server.It will also label some files in the directory which was denied access to as corrupt files.

All other jobs run correctly except this particular job.

Need help!

Thank you

Firstly upgrade you Backup exec to 7.01. The download is avilable from The two files you need to download are bnt72acc.exe and bnt72i03.exe.

Then try the back and then see what happens.

Before upgrading to 7.01 make sure you read the insatllation instructions as the upgrade to 7.01 requires a switch

Also try to check if any other software running is preventing Backup Exec from doing its job. Especially Anti Virus software.

Tilo

My Access Denied problem involves a WAN. Backup Exec on the NT server back's up the local drive fine. I can see the other servers (Novell) and set them to back up but when the backup runs, I get "Access Denied" to the other servers. I can go through Network Neighborhood and see and do anything that I want... Input would be greatly appreciated!

This is probably a problem of NT access rights on the network.

From what you say, the account you're logged in as has all of the correct rights to access the PCs across the network.
When you installed Backup Exec, did you enter this account as the Service Account? If not, log in as the service account and try accessing these network shares. If you have problems accessing then this is your problem. Log in as administrator and give the Service Account the rights to access the network shares.

I know of no way to check or change the Service Account through Backup Exec. As far as I know, you are stuck with whatever you specified when you installed it. I haven't checked the Service Account specified for the Backup Exec services in control panel though.

The easiest way to make sure this is not a problem is to specify the administrator account when you install.

Try this. At the least you'll eliminate the Service Account rights as a source of the problems. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back