Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I convert VHS home video to CD for viewing with a CD palyer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh1loh

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
I'm looking into purchasing a new desktop, one of the things I would like to use it for is to convert my home VHS videos to CD.
Has anyone done it?
What hardware and software would need and what would be the minimum desktop configuration, CPU, memory, drive storage etc. that I should buy. Thanks..

VHS to CD or VHS to DVD?

Get a video capture card or an external device like a Dazzle analog/digital video converter.

For CPU - get as much as you can afford.
For memory - 512MB+
HD - 80GB+

Specifically, you'll need the following:

- Video In on the video card
- Software (which usually comes with the video card) to capture the input as MPEG-1 format (VHS quality)
- Software to convert the MPEG-1 file into VCD format and burn it to CD (Roxio and Nero come with this ability, and there is freeware on the internet like VCDEasy that is more efficient in my opinion)
- CD Writer/Burner to create the Video CD

In my experience, using a CD-RW disk instead of a CD-R disk works better on older DVD players that aren't able to read CD-R's. This is because CD-RW disks have reflectivity similar to a DVD (more of a silver/gold tint). To learn more, visit:

-and-

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

My Tv Card is a mono card. Does that mean the output is mono or does it mean I cannot record in stereo? "Sharing knowledge is a way of achieving immortality"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back