Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I convert UATA to an external bootable device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapsg

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2011
GB
Hi,

I have a Seagate Ultra ATA hard disk that I had in my last desktop PC. I gave away the box but kept the HDD. I want to convert the disk to an external bootable device for my Toshiba (Model: Tecra R840 - 10Z) laptop.

How do I go about doing this? I know I can buy an external casing to hook it up to my laptop as an external USB drive, but will that also let me boot my laptop from it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Does the laptop support boot from usb? if so, just get the case,plug it in, and then boot the OS of your choice, and choose that drive as the target for the install. You understand that you will be sacrificing a lot of speed right? Because usb is slow. unless you have usb 3.

Thanks. I will give it a try...and thanks for pointing out the speed issues. I might just buy a new dektop and stick the HDD in there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back