Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I connect my laptop directly to my desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufflocks

Technical User
Jun 29, 2001
US
They both have the ethernet network card. I have the cable that runs between them. When I connect them, the netwok icons indicate that connections have been established. However, I cannot access any files. What am I missing?

1st - the cable will have to be a crossover cable.
2nd - if using tcp/ip, you will need to assign static IP addresses.
3nd - firewall software will need to be configured to allow access.
4th - file & print sharing needs to be properly configured.

Have a look at

I did everthing someone suggested on the second website. Nothing worked. I am at the same spot I was yesterday, where the laptop can ping itself but the desktop cannot. I am thinking the problem lies witth the desktop, but I am just not sure.

What operating systems are being used on each machine & did you check these items?

1st - the cable will have to be a crossover cable.
Are you using a crossover cable?

2nd - if using tcp/ip, you will need to assign static IP addresses.
What static IP addresses are each machine using?

3nd - firewall software will need to be configured to allow access.
What firewall is being used on each machine & how is is configured?

4th - file & print sharing needs to be properly configured.
Has it been?

smah,
1. yes
2. yes - desktop is 192.168.0.227, laptop is 192.168.0.228
3. firewall disabled on both machines
4. selected "turn on file sharing ...." with network setup wizard on both machines.

If I take the cable that connects to the cable modem and run it between the desktop and laptop, will that suffice as a crossover cable?

I have been at it for 3 days straight and it just does not work. I have googled and read several detailed threads, and followed along. Still I cannot get the ping to go through. I will just have to break down and buy the hub or switch. What do those things cost anyway (in US$)?

Small workgroup type switches (or hubs) can be found retail for less than $40. On the used market, they will be considerably less. However, this might not solve the problem. Make sure that there aren't any additional firewalls - including XP's built-in one and anything that might have been installed with antivirus or antispyware software.

I found that the PC to Laptop program networking program worked great...it did walk me thru it 100%... only problem I had was the cable... once I bought a new cable it worked fine..then I found this site:
How to Make Your Own Network Cables Instructions for making CAT 5 straight-thru and crossover network cables ... and running network software, connected together with a crossover cable. ...

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back