Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I connect directly to the database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amccart

Technical User
Jun 19, 2003
GB
I want to run queries directly without using the Remedy client.

I notice that a Remedy ODBC driver is installed on my PC but there is no DSN.

I am trying to find out how I can do this with the techies in my organisation but don't know how long this will take - can anyone help in the meantime?

It sounds like you still need to configure your Remedy ODBC driver. Open it up and in the AR Server field key in your server name (the same as in accounts).

I managed to get a connection using your suggestion to create a system DSN using the Remedy ODBC driver and the server name. Thanks.
The only utility I have that connects using this DSN is MS Query. When I try using Access I get the err msg " the database engine can't find (table name)..." and the connection fails.
What tools do people use to connect directly to the database?

What is the datbase and version of the ARS databse (i.e. Oracle8, Oracle9, SQL Server 7, SQL Server 2000, etc.)?

What version of ARS are you using?

You should be able to go into whatever tool you use to run SQL queries against any database (Query Analyzer for SQL Server or SQL Plus for Oracle) and run queries against the database.

Give a little more info about how you are trying to do it and perhaps I can attempt to help.

I know this is not a contribution to the thread here, but for some reason it wont let me add a new thread.

How can I create an automatic incremental circuit id in remedy ars. So that when I create a new circuit, the system will look at the last circuit id for a particular circuit level and assign the next circuit id to the new circuit.

I am a bit stumped on this one.

IE:

DS3-00000001
DS3-00000002
DS3-00000003

Thanks for the help and sorry for not contributing to the original thread

OU18,

You can create a regular form that we'll call NEXT_CIRCUIT. On that form, create a field 'Next Circuit ID'. There will only be one record in this form, and the value in the 'Next Circuit ID' field will always be the next circuit ID to be assigned.

Then when you save a record that creates a new circuit ID:

1. Assign the new circuit ID from the value in the 'Next Circuit ID' field on the NEXT_CIRCUIT form

2. Have a filter update the 'Next Circuit ID' on the NEXT_CIRCUIT form by setting 'Next Circuit ID' = ('Next Circuit ID' + 1)

You will have some considerations since it appears that you are using Alphanumeric circuit ID values instead of numeric ones, but the same concept will apply.

Okay, I am able to set the Circuit ID field to the Next Circuit ID. Yet I am having issues with creating the filter to update the Next Circuit Form with the Next Circuit ID.

Not sure where I am going wrong.

I am having a similar problem (connecting to Remedy).

I can connect to Remedy using AR System User (the Remedy client); however, when I try to connect using Excel or Access through the AR System ODBC driver I get the following error:

Driver]Cannot open catalog; Message number = 90

Some more information - The Remedy database is not local, I connect remotely, but have no problems connecting Remedy, just when I try to connect with the AR System ODBC to pulling data to a spreadsheet or Access databse. Any ideas???

Thanks!!!!!
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back