Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I connect a Win95 Client to MySQL on an NT Server, Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keitha

MIS
Dec 3, 1999
GB
www.oldcottage.co.uk
I have successfully installed a binary edition of MySQL on my NT Server and can connect locally and create databases and tables OK.<br>
<br>
I now want to connect from a Win95 client on the network but cannot. I have the C:\mysql\bin\ directory on my server mapped as the F: drive on the client. Using the MSDOS command prompt from the client, I am trying to start mysql with the command mysqld -h servername. I get a message that it cannot find a file from the share (I think! - I'm not at my network right now) directory on c:\mysql\share?\english.<br>
<br>
I am wondering if the Win32 distribution is not configured to work client/server.<br>
<br>
Can anybody help?

Well, seems to me like you have one thing missing: You need to add users and allow them to reach your database from other hosts.<br>
It is recommended that you connect your users to databases you create on your own and NOT the system database.<br>
In order to add a user, you will need to issue this:<br>
<br>
insert into user (Host,User,Password,Select_priv,Insert_priv,Update_priv,Delete_priv) values<br>
( '%', &lt;username&gt;, PASSWORD(&lt;password string&gt;), 'Y,'Y','Y','Y')<br>
<br>
You will need to reload the grant tables, and then you will be able to log in from a remote host using the user/password combination you have entered.<br>
<br>
Good Luck!<br>
<br>
Isaac Aaron<br>

I try mysql-shareware on localhost server it runs <br>
but mysqlshow, mysqladmin -u root mysql nd mysqladmin shutdown get nothing.<br>
can anybody tell me how to install on win98<br>
i tried the examples but they dont work<br>
<br>
thanks<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.