Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I configure Application sets? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

theorem5

Technical User
Jul 17, 2001
US
I am a Citrix rookie, and I either setup something wrong or I am just not paying attention. I have read through a couple of the guides regarding setting up application sets. In some instances it say to "Double-click the Find a New Application Set icon in the Program Neighborhood Window". The problem is that there is no such icon in Program Neighborhood! The only icon availabe is the Add a new connection. I have the latest ICA Win32 Client installed, but I have never seen this icon in previous versions either. As a matter of fact, I have no clue how to set up application sets on my server. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have Metaframe XPa server running on a Windows 2000 platform.

Let's see if I can assist. Keep in mind that my background is MF1.8 running on MS Terminal Server 4.0.

First of all, when you first execute the Citrix Program Neighborhood Client it will automatically ask you to choose a 'default' set from a list of possibles SERVER FARMS. This list of possibles manifests itself only if you have created at least one SERVER FARM (via the Published Application Manager).
Now, don't hold my feet to the fire, but it may very well be that your 'Find a New Application Set' icon is not visible because your client does not see a Server Farm. This may be because you either have not configured one or it is not visible because of some network problem.

One more possibility, and here I do not mean to insult your intelligence. I have seen the Program Neighborhood Client start up in the Custom ICA Connections window. You will know that by looking at the windows title bar. In this case you would only see the Add ICA Connection (MF1.8). Simply use the 'UP' button on the windows menu to go to the root. Here you should find 'Find a New Application Set'.

Give it a try. -- Devil Dog --

You did not insult my intelligence, because what you told me was absolutely correct. I never had a clue that there was something else behind that. This will atually simplify my job. Thanks.

I was going to suggest that some one had removed the icon from your pn using a bespoke appsrv.ini/src. But I can see the 'issue' is resolved.

Anyway, devildog, without holding your feet to the fire: the client only goes to look for a farm when you use that very icon. Take a look at the appsrv.ini/pn.ini in your user profile, you will see that you can fiddle about with your pn. If you copy those files to your installation location on the server,(or floppies), rename to *.src (source), you can pre-configure your pn for easy roll-out.

I'm running XPa as well...
go into the citrix management console and log onto your farm.

right click on published applications and click publish new app. Go through step by step. If you want to publish the desktop there is a radio button in the screen where you browse for the app you want to publish.

reboot the workstation to be safe and the icon should appear. It should by rights come up and ask you for a user/pass.

the citrix management console is very user friendly. I'd recommend reading the manual or the online help.

Thanks Pritch5000. I'm very familiar with the appsrv.ini/pn.ini. This was simply a shot in the dark if no other logical explanation worked. I have never had a case where the icon 'Find a New Application Set' was not available. -- Devil Dog --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back