Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I check the IP address of this PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejhemler

Programmer
Aug 30, 2002
US
i'm using XP and i don't usually use this PC or OS. how do I check the IP address of this PC?

go to start, run, type 'cmd'. at the command prompt c:> type 'ipconfig' or ipconfig /all to find out dns addresses too

richyd only handles you local IP.

Ipconfig will return the values, as will right-clicking the Network icon in the notificatin try, and requesting a Status, Properties while staying within the XP GUI.

To access to the WAN IP you need to access outside resources, one example:

bcastner, just a small remark.
I do have to add that the result 'can' be false, as it is in my case, because the ISP I am on, on cable, disguises the real IP.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

There are other more aggressive links, but if you are NAT'd behind the cable or DSL modem, I agree. But Google this, as you will be surprised how aggressive some of these sites can be. I chose one without ads, and relatively benign.

If you fail the "Tweak Test" from BroadBandReports, to pull a true WAN IP, then I suggest you not look any further than that:
Though being double (or more) NAT'ed seems unwise in the long run for any serious internet user. It may just be that your ISP denies any ICMP traffic of any kind, and in the current climate I cannot blame them. I would prefer to have a pure bridge, one NAT and the test above should pull the WAN IP behind a NAT IP.

Thanks marcs41,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back