Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I check for returned error codes from SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

rscero

IS-IT--Management
Sep 5, 2002
US
We've implemented the use of the query governor on our SQL 2000 database for our Crystal report queries. The problem I'm having is trapping the returned error code, before crystal displays an unfriendly .dll error message. When I run a report in designer which is killed by the governor, I get a message complete with the description that explains the error. When I attempt to view a report via the activeX viewer that is killed by the governor, I get a generic .dll error message. The reports all use stored procedures as a data source. Is there a way to trap these error codes in the beforeRecordsRead process and then display a more friendly message to the users?

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Rick

I'm not aware of a way to do this, although that doesn't mean there isn't one. Are you deploying the report via RAS, CE, or the RDC? If by way of the RDC, then I would recommnend converting your reports to using an ADO datasource and doing your trapping outside of Crystal, only running the report if you get back a recordset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back