Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I change the password? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiggerDaKat

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2003
US
I feel very stupid for asking this. I just "inherited" a cisco 3500 switch and a 2600 router. I can access each through a browser, but can't change the passwords in them. I know nothing about Cisco equipment and am accustomed to dealing with Sonicwall and 3com. I realize this is a different class. But I'd just like these devices to do basic things....act as a switch and a router. Can anyone help me with 2 things:

1) How can I change the password in them?
2) What options do I have to manage them besides telnet and command lines?

Thanks for the help.

Eric

in order to change the passwords you will need to get to the enable prompt. from telnet access you login with password

then type

enable

your prompt should look like this

systemname# <--this signifies you are in enable mode

from here do the following(start typing after the '#'

systemname#configure terminal
systemname(conf)#no enable password
systemname(conf)#no enable secret
systemname(conf)#enable secret yourpassword
systemname(conf)#exit
systemname#copy run start

this will change the password to whatever you put in place of yourpassword

repeat this procedure on both devices

if you can't get to the enable prompt and do not have the enable password please post this and we can get you information on performing a password recovery

or go to cisco.com and search for password recovery on 2600 and 3500 series switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back