Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I change the outbound email port from 25 to another port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

costiles

Technical User
Jun 14, 2005
US
I need to route my outbound email through a port other than 25. How do I make this happen?

I don't have an aix box for now so on top of my head (IMHO) why don't you go to /etc/services and change the port associated with the name of port 25?

Just a guess!

Regards,
Khalid

Khalid,
Thanks for your input. I will give that a shot.

If you are delivering to the internet at large, using a port other than 25 is not an option - 25 is the standard SMTP port that everyone else is listening on.

If you are just tunneling it through, and you have an SMTP receiver or TCP relay running on the destination, I'm not quite sure how to do that in sendmail - first guess would be to change the port in /etc/services since sendmail.cf; I tried changing a sendmail DS line to have a :2525 after a hostname, but it didn't like that.

I use postfix whenever I have anything more complicated than a simple "DS" line change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back