Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I change the local ADMIN password on a DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timwescott

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
GB
Can anyone tell me how to change/reset the password for the local administrator account on a DC? (W2K SP2)

I know that there are no local groups/accounts displayed on a DC from 'managing' the computer, but when I boot the server into DRS mode it asks for a password, and will not accept the current domain password. I assume that it is asking for the local admin password, which I don't have.

Any help appreicated.
Tim

Open Active Directory Users & Computers right mouse click on the account you want to reset and choose change password

Not for the LOCAL administrator account on a DC, which is only visible if you 'dcpromo' the server out of AD, as the initial text states!!!

I believe this password is kept in the SAM (could be wrong). If you reboot in the AD recovery mode the SAM is available under Computer Management. But, of course, that is your problem.

There are a number of password recovery tools from vendors available taht might help:

Also do a Google search on breaking or hacking Windows 2000 passwords and you should find free tools as well - I have one I have used to recover SAM database administrator accounts on NTFS partitions (it had an NTFS driver as well) but I cannot find it - I moved and it is missing). My corporate firewall, alas, keeps me from those sites during the day.

Pax,
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back