Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I change .rpt from User DSN to System DSN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blai00

MIS
Feb 17, 2001
US
Thanks for stopping in and taking a look at my mess!

Question:
Is there an easy way to change the odbc driver from a user dsn to a system dsn without having to create the whole report?

Scenario:
My boss has created about 15 reports (on his computer but the reports are stored on a network vol.) by creating database connections through User DSN drivers instead of System DSN in ODBC. He has asked our department to add his reports to the intranet so the users can refresh the reports without having to ask him. We are using an NT box with IIS to host the Crystal Web Component. After countless problems we are finally able to view the reports, but now we can’t refresh them because the User DSN is only used by that one user and no one else. Well in the IIS world you have a web user that allows for anonymous access, and unfortunately the user logged onto the box and the web user are not one in the same. I know the connection is working because I can refresh the data by using crystal reports on the server but when I bring up the browser and try to refresh the report I get:

Error connecting to database dll [page server ServerName]

Version: Crystal Reports 8

Thanks,
Veronica
vg00@swbell.net

Veronica: Have you tried re-creating the UserDSN's as System DSN's and then choosing Set Location within the Report Designer? This will enable you to choose a different origin for each table used in the report i.e. move it from the User DSN to the System DSN and then propagate the same change through all the other tables used in the report.

There is a utility available (not tested on V8 but I think will work) which will swap one ODBC connection for another within a block of reports. Let me know if you need it (it may be more trouble than it's worth for only 15 reports;-) ) David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

Thanks for the help. Once I created the System DNS exactly the same as the report was created and deleted the User Dns. I was able to connect to and refresh from the database using the Report Designer but I still get:

Error connecting to database dll [page server ServerName]

when trying to refresh the report from the Web viewer. I found a .pdf file on Crystal's web site and I am working through the troubleshooting steps so far it hasn't been much help. If you've heard of this happening before and have any suggestions I would appreciate them. Thanks!

blai00: Veronica, check and make sure that you've cleared the cache before rying to view the revised report from your Web Server - I suspect that it's still looking at the old definition. David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Crystal Decisions Enterprise Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back