Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I change "Pre-Windows 2000" login from the CMD Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

yubman

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
US
Hi all,

I searched around a bit and didn't find anything on my question. I have a bunch of users to rename (1500+) and want to change the "user login name" and the "pre-windows 2000" login names.

I've found that the -UPN switch for "DSMOD USER" will change the "user login name" but not the "pre-windows 2000" name at the same time. It took me FOREVER to find out that the "login name" was the UPN, is the "pre-windows 2000" name called something else cryptic as well?

So far this works great, but only on the UPN login name:

dsmod user "CN=USERID,OU=Users,DC=Company,DC=com" -upn newname@company.com

Once I've got the bugs worked out to change BOTH login names, I plan on running this through a for/do loop from a cmd prompt to take care of all the users in one swoop.

Thanks for your time and have a great day.

tony

I've been researching around and found out that the "pre-windows 2000" name is called the SAMACCOUNTNAME (but for some reason is typed as "sAMAccountName").

Several sites mention using a VB script or something similar to make modifications to the user account.

A tool mentioned a few times is the command LDIFDE is suppose to allow this, along with other scripting solutions.

I have no experience with VB scripting, has anyone done this before?

tony

Me again...

DSADD has a -samid switch but bombs out when run against existing accounts (account already exists).

tony

Hi Tony,

I'm facing the same problem you did. I know how to change it with the use of vbscript, but I want to change the Pre-Windows 2000 name from the command prompt.

Did you find a solution for this?

Thanks,

Ruben Giaccotto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back