Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I change my IP address? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CINC

Programmer
Oct 30, 2001
US
I am working with an Apache server on Windows ME, and first, I don't know my computer's address on the internet (IP address?) and second, I would like to change it. What can I do?

If you're talking about your internal IP address, then simply go into the Network Properties page, double click TCP/IP and change the IP address.

If you're talking about your external IP, this is much more difficult. What is your internet connection (T1/DSL/Cable/Dial-Up)?

If you have a T1, you should be able to contact your ISP and have them assign you a new block of IP addresses that you can use. If you're on DSL/Cable, then most likely your IP is dynamic and cannot be changed. Nate Gagne
nathan.gagne@verizon.net
AKA Nick Burns - Your Company's Computer Guy
"Would you like me to save your game of Minesweeper first?"

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

If you open up a dos prompt and type "ipconfig /all" it will tell you your current IP address.
shnypr-small.gif

Hey guys, thanks.

Let me give more details:
I don't know anything about IP addresses, but I do know what my ultimate goal is.
My ultimate goal is to be able to have someone access my computer over the internet using a simple address like "bryan.com" or something along those lines.
If I were to access it today for example, I would have to type in
am I right?

also I do have cable internet

One more thing, I went to two different sites that said they would tell me my IP address and three times on two different days I got the above number.

by the way maybe someone could try accessing that and telling me if they see a stupid little web page sitting there.

thanks alot

CINC,

First: If you want bryan.com - you need to register the Domain Name, and then get the IP address pointed at your system. Your ISP should be able to do this for you.

Next, what you've need to understand is that TCP/IP is a connection means only. To try an analogy, it's just the pipeline, not the water supply.

This means that you'd need some web server software on your computer. This opens up a port (Generally 80) that listens for HTTP requests. When it receives a request, it'll serve up a web page, typically default.htm. You need to set this up on your system to respond to the outside world.

Finally, some ISP's simply won't allow you to run web services at all because of the security implications. If that's the case, you can forget it before you start :-(

if your are just 'playing' at the moment then go to and register a 'virtual' domain name then download some client software (same site) and run this on your machine. This updates your external IP to the DNS servers should it change. DO NOT forget some kind of firewall (not Black Ice defender). If you want to try some different web server software try Sambar (

Comaboy is right. Don't confuse the "address" for the DNS name. The DNS name is a way of associating an IP address with a name so that we mere mortals can go to yahoo.com which we can remember instead of remembering a number like 204.71.200.67. Your IP address won't change. it is simply a matter of obtaining a Domain name that you can associate with that IP address.

The truth is I can access yahoo both ways. At my browser I can either type or I can type 204.71.200.67. Both will get me to yahoo.

BTW I can't see your webpage. Could you be running NAT on a router with a connection to your ISP? If so, set up port forwarding for TCP port 80 and set the local host to your Web server IP Address.

Yes, this makes no sense to me, but i still have a question... In a game i was playing online, the server banned me for no reason. I believe they banned my IP address, I would like to know if there is a way to change it, and could you keep it simple, because i am not very good at IP stuff :) I have a Cable modem.

um if they banned you it is because they never want to see you again on THEIR computer, I would not help someone subvert another's use of their own property. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I have a IIS working on my computer and I want my web site (on my computer) to be accessible to people by typing a name, not an ip address. If I register my domain name with register.com or similar companies, will this work? How do I tie my IP address to a name and run my web site from my computer (i.e. I don't need hosting services)
Thanks
Barb

dbtyry,

To answer your question, you do need to register your domain name. Register.com is one place to do this. The DNS name associated with your website is handled completely by these companies. Once your DNS name is registered it should work. Nothing needs to be done on your IIS server.

BTW, I am assuming you have a static IP address and your server is accessible over the web via your IP address. If you don't have that part working then I suggest doing that first or the DNS name is a moot point.

In a nutshell, once you have a registered domain name associated with your IP address then others can access your website either with your domain name or the IP address.

I am new to this and would love it if someone could explain the differances between frame and tcp/ip?

Actually, you need to register your domain name, then have your ISP add your new domain name in their DNS servers...

As for your IP address, I didn't see anyone mention static or dynamic IP addresses...

Static IP addresses always remain the same... Dynamic IP addresses can change...

Some ISP's create a permanent entry for your computer, on their bootp or dhcp servers... Others do not!

If you've been assigned a static IP address, you can enter all of the appropriate information in your local Networking TCP/IP properties GUI.

If your ISP is using DHCP or bootp to assign the IP addresses to your local machine, then you don't want to hardcode those entries locally...

If the ISP decides to change your IP address, and you have it hardcoded, you could conflict with whoever else has been assigned to this address... In the event of a TCP/IP conflict, it could lock up networking on both systems...

So... Check with your ISP... See whether they're using static or dynamic IP addresses...

Ask specifically for a static IP address, if possible, or ask them to modify their dhcpd.conf file to provide you with a permanent address...

Next, after you've registered your domain name, ask the ISP to enter the new name in their DNS servers...

Hope this helps...

Joe F.

If you want to learn, stay, If not find somewhere else

Chris

For the guys that have sites on their computers. Can your computers handle multiple access. Are you running server software. Just curious.

Why do you want to give anybody access to your computer. If your building a web site,that would explain why you want the bryan.com. The easiest way, (and what I did), was register the domain name for my store as nellsgiftbox.com. Then I went and bought some Web site software to create my own website. In this software is the location of where IP address the isp gave me. I then created my website, and transfered the whole site to the isp's ip address that they gave me. Now, when people go to the web site, they aren't on my pc, so I don't have to worry about firewalls and such, and it only costs about $12 a month. (Goofed up portions of my site, have to re-build from scratch and re-post it.) Bummer. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"All things are difficult before they are easy."
Thomas Fuller (1608 - 1661) English scholar, preacher.

you can change your ip address by replaceing your ethernet card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back