Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i change background 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

T4a

Technical User
Jun 20, 2003
GB
Hi, iam pretty new to photoshop. I am about to take some photographs of Jewellery with my digital camera for my boss. I would appreciate any tips you can give me here. Can some 1 explain how i would go about removing the background & replacing it with a background of my choice? I plan to take the photographs agaist a plan uniform black backgropund.

TIa

It depends what you want to do. If you are placing the cut out pieces into a catalog, you would probably be advised to learn about clipping paths. Photoshop Help should give you the details (sorry, I'm a bit stuck for time today, so I can only point you in the right direction!)

If you are adding the background in Photoshop, then there are a number of options. You could try the Filter > Extract... tool. If you go this route, you would be better off using a completely different color background (black might end up blending into the shadows making it harder to distinguish some edges). A bright blue or green could work -- it's good enough for Hollywood!

Also, if you use, say, a bright green, you will have an almost ready made mask in the form of the green channel. Duplicate this channel, use Levels or Curves to make it into a sillouette of your product, then you can use this to mask out the object.

Again, apologies for being economical with the details, but Photoshop Help can fill in the gaps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back