Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i capture video with gforce ti4200 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed109

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
GB
gforce ti4200 has video in/out would like to capture vhs tapes, do i need some kind of special software, tried power vcr, power director, cant get software to see card as a capture, even asked inno3d but no answer, i might add it plays dvd on to tv, says on the box it can play-back video and capture video, any help would be great.

Do a google search for "nvidia wdm 1.08". That's the driver version you want, accept nothing else, even if it's a newer version (trust me on this). Then any capture software should be able to see the input video, such as Windows Movie Maker, WinProducer, Visual Studio, and even ATI's MMC 7.1.

If it's anything like the ATI vivo then be aware you will need to disconnect the TV out before it will 'see' the video in connection. You can't use them both at the same time.

thanks guys, got it working with the wmd 1.08, I had tried the new version of this driver but kept getting a white bar across picture. ed109

The white bar across the picture means your in TV tuner mode I think. Your Ti4200 more then likely does not have a TV Tuner built-in, set the capture mode to composite or what ever other options are availible. Also make sure that your encoding is set to the right one so if your TV is PAL put your capture setting to PAL and so on...

Nope; that white bar is Macrovision, a software routine in the wdm drivers to attept to detect the copy protection in vhs & dvd's & ruin your capture.

However, Macrovision is extremely flawed as just about any vhs, especially completely legal home videos runs into that crap white bar.

WDM driver version 1.08 was the latest version that does not have Macrovision written in it.

Pissed me off, so there's absolutely no reason to buy nVidia graphic cards now; hoping I can sell it on eBay for a decent amount then buy ATI.

I have captured Music vids and movies using my Ti4200 thru my VHS recorder (Phillips VR499), my TV and my DVD Player with no probs. (I use this feature to make digital copies of my old VHS tapes so that they will last forever).

I know about macrovision (I normally get two white lines on a dark grey backround), it is very easy to by pass. I first noted the problem with macrovison when I played around with backing up a DVD to a Video Tape and found the same issue with recording using a capture card.

(Hint: try using the Direct Video/Audio (normally in the front) and the rear Video/Audio Composite Out on your TV/VCR and switch your TV to Direct Video mode instead of using the UHF channel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back