Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I call my VBA Macros outside of Excel ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljsmith91

Programmer
May 28, 2003
US
I am a beginner and have created some Excel VBA macros that input some raw data and chart it etc etc. I know I can invoke the macros inside Excel a number of different ways. However, I was wondering if there is a way to invoke the macro through a VBScript outside of Excel.

I am trying to completely automate the conversion of the raw data without the need to access Excel and interact with the macro which recquires no user input.

This may be simple but I have no idea how to go about it. I hope its doable. Thanks for any suggestions.

LJS

Hi,

VBA is encapsulated within the APPLICATION where the project is stored. The APPLICATION must be active. Hence the name, Visual BASIC for Applications -- as opposed to Visual BASIC.

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Skip,

Thanks for the bad news. So, there is no way to programmatically call Excel and open the app, then call the VBA macro, and then exit, check return codes and return to the script for processing ? That is a bummer. It's hard to believe that this must be done manually in this day and age.

LJS

Yes, you can do that with VB. Not sure how that could be done with VB Script.

Check the Microsoft.com knowledgebase

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

ljsmith91, there is a forum Forum329 devoted to VBScript.
You may try something like this:
Set W=GetObject("\path\to\workbook.xls")
W.Application.Run "YourMacro", Arg1, Arg2, ...
W.Close
Or something like this:
Set X=CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set W=X.Workbooks.Open("\path\to\workbook.xls")
X.Run "YourMacro", Arg1, Arg2, ...
W.Close
X.Quit

Hope This Help, PH.

hey PHV, I used the code below and it worked great. Do you know how to stop the "Do you want to save changes" window from popping up?

Code:
Dim X

Set X=CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set W=X.Workbooks.Open("D:\Docs\JaydipDB\OutputFiles\testExcelMacros.xls")
X.Run "macTest1"
X.Run "macTest2"
X.Quit

I tried adding "X.Save" before "X.QUIT" but then I got another pop up window asking if I wanted to replace "RESUME.XLW"? Have you encountered this before? The goal is no pop ups.

Code:
x.displayalerts=false

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]A palindrome gone wrong?[/red]
A man, a plan, a ROOT canal...
PULLEMALL![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back