Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I block port 21? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiv

Instructor
Jan 22, 2003
GB
I've heard that port 21 is very susceptible to attacks.
How do I block this port?

Thanks

The same way as port 20 - turn off your FTP server.

I'm running WinXP Pro,
Do you know the steps of blocking port 21?

Thanks

What makes you think it's open? It shouldn't be open unless you're running an FTP server. Even if you have an FTP server running causing the port to be open, any firewall (including the one built into XP) can block incoming connections on port 21.

I thought the port maybe open because I use dreamweaver to upload files from my pc to a webserver.

Dreamweaver should be uploading to port 21 on the FTP server, not on your machine. If you want to check, open a command prompt. Then while uploading with dreamweaver, at the command prompt type netstat -a.

Hi JimPletcher

I tried the grc url and it tested my pc for open ports.
After analysis:
It found 2 ports open which are port 21 and 80.
Here are the results from grc:

2 Ports Open
24 Ports Closed
0 Ports Stealth
---------------------
26 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be STEALTH.

Ports found to be OPEN were: 21, 80

Other than what is listed above, all ports are CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

Ports 21 & 80 are FTP server & web server respectively. Do you intend for either of these to be running? If not turn them off. If yes, then those ports need to be open for those services to work. Keep in mind that file sharing apps like Kazaa act as a web server.

Let's get to the heart of the problem...are you running an FTP server and a web server on your machine?

No, Im not running FTP or Web server, as I have blocked these ports from XP's internet connection firewall.

I run a test from grc and got the same results.

Is there another way to block them?

If you have a router, you block ports at the router (some older routers left port 21 open for ISP maintenence - but they used strong passwords for the FTP transfer).

What is your physical configuration ADSL, cable, dial-up, modem type, router type, etc?

I'm connected to the net via ADSL modem/router.

I disabled port 21 & 80 on the router and re tested from grc. Feedback was positive: port 21 & 80 closed.

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back